Aluminum-coated step index multimode optical fibers have all the benefits of silica-silica fibers. Additional significant improvements include increased mechanical strength and greater fatigue resistance compared to non-hermetic and polymer-clad fibers (PCS). Their transmittance covers a spectral range of 400 to 2400 nm, and also remains stable in corrosive chemicals that normally react to silica glass. The temperature range is from -196C to +400C .
- Greatly enhanced resistance to high power laser radiation.
- Higher core-to-clad ratio and enlarged NA optimized for coupling to high-energy lasers.
- Better fiber cooling due to the heat-conducting metal coating.
- Excellent mechanical strength and flexibility compared to polymer coated fibers.
- The metal coating can be soldered and will not outgas.